Animal hats are a fun fashion trend that can be enjoyed by both children and adults. These are great accessories for themed parties, photo shoots, or for showing off your unique personality. If you already have a crocheted hat, you can make a set of colour coordinating crochet ears.
But first, you will need to know how to crochet bear ears and how to attach them.
How to Attach Ears to Crochet Hat
Ears are easy to add to a crochet hat. The only things you need are:
- Matching yarn
- Crochet hook
- Yarn needle
Steps to attach ears to a crochet hat:
1. Lay the hat down flat with the front facing upward.
2. Position the ears on the fold where you think they look the best.
3. Thread the yarn needle with the matching yarn.
4. Insert the needle through the edge of the ear and tie the end of it, so the ear does not fall off.
5. Next insert the needle through the top layer of the stitching on the hat where the ear will be placed. Start from the back.
6. Pull the ear all the way to the hat.
7. Now insert the needle through the front of the bottom of the ear close to where you just pulled the needle through.
8. Bring the needle and yarn back through the back of the hat.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 until you have completely attached the base of the ear. Then add 1-2 more stitches. This will make the ear stand outward.
10. Secure the end of the thread by inserting the need down into the hat. Tie the yarn in a knot and weave the end of the yarn back through the hat a few times.
11. Attach the other ear the same way.
With the following 28 crochet animal ears patterns, you can learn how to crochet bear ears for yourself or as a gift. Hats do not always have to be serious. Have fun and create something that will make people smile.
1. Little Bear Hat with Optional Flower Crochet Pattern by SunsetCrochet
This charming bear ear hat would be perfect for photo shoots and baby shower gifts. The pattern includes sizes from 0 to 3 years old. You can make the hat with a flower for a little girl. Or leave the flower off for a little boy.
2. Yoda Hat Pattern by WholeKnitandCaboodle
What child would not love to dress up like baby Yoda? This fun Yoda hat will be a huge hit. All the kids will want one of these Yoda ears hats. And we are sure some adults will too.
This is an easy-to-follow pattern that can be completed by a beginner. It only requires basic knowledge of single crochet. You will need green #4 worsted weight acrylic yarn, size 5mm crochet hook, size 6mm crochet hook, a yarn needle and straight pins.
3. Cozy Bear Cowl Crochet Pattern by PeachasNBeans
Here is a cute crochet bear cowl. This would make the perfect winter accessory for someone that does not take themself too seriously.
The pattern includes sizes toddler to adult. If you have any issues, the designer will answer all your questions.
4. Crocheted Unicorn Hat with Flowers from 5 Little Monsters
How cute is this crochet unicorn ears hat? The crochet pattern includes instructions for the hat, ears, flowers and horn. This adorable hat would make any child happy.
The pattern makes a child size hat. If you are an advanced crocheter, you can customise the pattern to make different sizes.
5. Crochet Baby Hat Easter Bunny Rabbit Ears Pattern by LocustTree
You can make a baby crochet bunny hat and diaper cover with this pattern. These would be perfect for an Easter photo shoot or Halloween. This pattern includes sizes newborn ,0-3 months ,3-6 months and 6-12 months.
To complete the crochet bunny ears pattern, you will need worsted weight yarn, Bernat Pipsqueak ran, Size I crochet hook, and a 4 inch pom pom maker.
6. Crochet No-Sew Square Cat Hat Pattern by JenMadeThatHat
Surprise a cat lover with a cat ears hat. This would make the perfect birthday gift. This hat is adorable and fashionable.
We would recommend this pattern for an intermediate level crocheter. You will need to know chain stitch, slip stitch, double crochet, front post double crochet, and back post double crochet
7. Little Crochet Bear Ears Pattern by Classy Crochet
If you are looking for a simple free crochet bear ears pattern, here is an easy one. This pattern only includes instructions for the ears. You will have to provide your own hat. You can easily customise the colours of the ear to match the hat.
8. Teddy Bear Headband Crochet Ears Pattern from ChummyMummyDevon
This knitted teddy bear headband features fun dimensional ears. It is guaranteed to help keep your ears warm when you are out in the cold.
The downloadable PDF pattern is available in sizes 1-2 years up to an adult. The download also includes a digital download of the cute gift packaging that is pictured.
9. Crochet Bunny Ears Hat Pattern by Emilytaylorcrochet
This is an awesome Bob’s Burgers inspired pattern for bunny ears. Any fan of the show would appreciate the whimsy pink hat.
To complete this crochet rabbit ears pattern, you will need to know magic rings, single crochet, double crochet, single crochet increases, single crochet decreases, double crochet increases, double crochet decreases, and using an embroidery needle to attach ears.
10. Minnie Mouse Inspired Crochet Ears Headband Pattern by Hooksandyarnstudio
Wear these adorable Minnie Mouse inspired crochet ears to the theme park. There is no reason you need to spend a lot of money on ears. Save your money for the fabulous food.
This pattern can be completed by an advanced beginner that is familiar with a magic ring start.
11. Baby Hat Bear Crochet Pattern by BabyPatternsBoutique
Here is a super cute teddy bear hat that will keep your child’s head and ears warm and toasty. It would make a great winter/fall accessory for outdoor activities.
A beginner can complete these cute crochet bear ears. The pattern uses chain, double crochet, single crochet, front post double crochet. There are instructions for sizes 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months, 9-12 months, toddler/preschooler, and child.
12. Crochet Animal Ears Headband Free Pattern by The Loopy Lamb
These crochet animal ears are easy to make. And there are instructions for both the cat ears and the bear ears. The use of faux fur yarn makes these headbands extra special.
A beginner can make these soft, fluffy ears. The pattern uses a 5.5 mm hook, faux fur yarn, a tapestry needle, scissors, plastic headband, locking stitch marker. Hot glue gun and glue stick, and a chenille pipe cleaner.
13. Crochet Floppy Bunny Ears Pattern by BeezyMomsCreations
Here is a fun, whimsical, fuzzy, floppy ear hat pattern. This cute crochet floppy bunny ears hat is perfect for photo shoots or everyday fun.
The pattern includes sizes newborn, 0-3 months, 3-6 months, and 6-12 months. It requires an 8.00 mm crochet hook and super bulky weigh yarn.
14. Crochet Fluffy Hooded Bear Cowl Pattern by Sylemn
This fluffy hooded bear cowl is fun and whimsical. You will surely turn heads when you wear this accessory on a cold winter day.
You can make this hoodie quickly with simple stitches, a large hook, and super bulky textured yarn. There is a small amount of sewing involved to attach the ears. There are two sizes available: adult and child.
15. Crochet Hood with Rabbit and Bear Ears Cowl Pattern by TLHpatterns
This hooded cowl with ears includes instructions for 2 types of ears. You get to choose if you want to make crochet rabbit ears or bear ears. You can make one for yourself and one for your child since there are instructions for 5 sizes.
Super bulky yarn is used to make this hooded cowl. The pattern requires a 9.00 mm crochet hook. This pattern is for an advanced beginner to intermediate level crocheter. It uses single crochet, double crochet, half double crochet, front post double crochet, back post double crochet, and single crochet two together.
16. Crochet Bunny Ears Pattern by Repeat Crafter Me
This easy crochet bunny ears patterns are too cute to handle! You can attach these to a ponytail or to a headband.
You are free on how to crochet ears. Follow this pattern but with your accent color (such as blue as pictured).
Get this Pattern here
17. Human Ear Crochet Pattern by Suzanne Adams
Lovely, written tutorial on how to crochet ears. This ear does belong to a human, creepy but too realistic not to try!
The right and left ears are separate patterns, so be sure not to make two of the same and think you can flip it.
Get this Pattern here
18. Clip on Bear Ears Crochet Pattern by Jane
These crochet ears pattern are actually very simple to make, you could change the colors and make polar bear ears, etc. If you are looking for some bear-like features to add to a costume or just want to look cute without trying too hard, these ears are perfect!
Get this Pattern here
19. Crochet Ears Hobgoblin Pattern by Sprouting The Seed
Making a hat for your little Hobgoblin? These are the ears to make! Quick, easy, and adorable- the perfect combination. Attach these crochet ears to a beanie hat then it would be a great costume for your little one!
20. Crochet Ear Elephant Pattern by Sunny Sunflower Crafts
This crochet ears pattern includes instructions for the Elephant Ears, all four sizes (Infant to Adult Large) of the Ear-flap Beanie and how to combine them both to make your one-of-a-kind Elephant Beanie!
The document itself is 13 pages long and includes written instructions and charts to help you with your project.
For more Crochet Elephant Patterns, you may check them here.
21. Crochet Dog Ear Flap Pattern by Adrienne Engar
This includes a pattern for the Doggy Earflap Hat in 4 sizes to fit: baby (0-6 months), toddler (6 months-2 years), child (3-8 years), a big kid (9 & up).
This cute earflap can be made in 2 colors of your choice and you will need a U.S. G and worsted weight yarn in making the hat part. This is an easy and great pattern for beginners.
22. Crochet Fox Ears Headband Pattern by Do It And How
It’s time to highlight your foxy side with this adorable Crochet Fox Ears Headband Pattern. This color combo makes fox ears, but you could make them in a solid color for kitty ears too!
Get this pattern here
Here’s more Crochet Fox Patterns to add to your collection.
23. Crochet Cat Ears Headphones Cover Pattern by Zonal
This crochet ears pattern includes instructions for any size of headphones. You will need to know how to chain, slip stitch, single crochet, and triple crochet to finish this project. Spice up your boring earpieces with these cute cat ears headphones cover!
24. Animal Ears Crochet Pattern by Whistle and Ivy
This cute crochet ears pattern includes 3 animal-themed headband ears: Bear, Fox and Deer crochet ear patterns! You could even change the colors slightly for the bear and turn it into a mouse.
Your child will love playing dress-up, or simply wearing these cute headbands every day.
25. Head Wrap Pig Ears Crochet Pattern by By Sol
This crochet pattern comes with instructions in American standard terms and full of photos until mounting the finished accessory.
This also has separated instructions for baby sizes to adult sizes. This cute piggy ears headwrap is for all ages, perfect baby photo prop or piggy costume!
26. Mickey Mouse Ears Crochet Pattern by Crochet Labs
This pattern includes one size that fits for a child to an adult. Instructions are very detailed and have step by step photos. This is a simple item great for the beginning crocheter and everyone in between.
27. Cat Ears Head Warmer Crochet Pattern by Ava Girl Patterns
This cat ears head warmer is just so fun and whimsical. Just right for that little girl that has a dramatic side or for that woman that loves to be unique and fun.
Makes a great conversation piece and you will definitely stand out in the crowd. Check out her website for more awesome patterns.
28. Dog Bunny Ears Crochet Pattern by The Drizzle Of Honey
This dog crochet bunny ears pattern are suiting for kids as well. This is an easy pattern that the only skill is to do chain stitches, single crochet stitches and decreasing. The ears are made in four parts: two fronts and two backs crocheted together.
Get this Pattern here
LEARNING HOW TO CROCHET BEAR EARS IS EASY IF YOU KNOW THE BASICS OF CROCHET. LIVEN UP SOME HATS BY ADDING SOME CROCHET EARS.
You do not always have to be serious. Have fun when you go out and wear an animal ear hat. Or make some super cute bunny ears for a newborn photo shoot.
For more adorable patterns, you may also want to check Crochet Ear Warmer Patterns, Crochet Bunny Ear Patterns, Baby Beanie Hat Crochet Pattern, Rainbow Hat and Swirl Hat Crochet Pattern, and Cat Hat With Ears Crochet Pattern!
If you are new to making animal crochet ears, you will soon learn how fun they are. We have added plenty of different patterns so you can learn how to crochet bear ears.