The basket weave crochet stitch is sets of front and back post double crochet stitches that creates a fabric with a woven texture.
It’s a wonderful stitch to use for crocheting scarves, blankets and washcloths. At first glance this looks very complicated but in fact it is very easy. As a result it is a good stitch for a beginner.
What is the Basket Weave Crochet Stitch?
The basket weave crochet stitch is an advanced level stitch. It is a decorative stitch that resembles a basket. The stitch uses a repeating pattern of FPDC and BPDC stitches.
Patterns that Use the Basket Weave Crochet Stitch
The basket weave crochet stitch adds texture and thickness. It is a great stitch for winter projects.
Types of patterns that incorporate the basket weave crochet stitch:
- Baby Blankets
- Wash Cloths
How to Make the Basket Weave Crochet Stitch
First, gather your supplies. You will need:
- Coordinating Crochet Hook
Basket Weave Crochet Stitch Tutorial:
Below, you will learn the basic way to make the basket weave crochet stitch. To make this stitch you will need to know how to make a slip knot, Chain stitch, US Double crochet (UK treble crochet), and US half double crochet (UK half treble crochet).
1. Make a slip knot.
2. Create a chain in a multiple of 8 plus 7.
3. Skip two chains and make a double crochet in the next chain. To do this yarn over and place your hook into the 3rd chain. Yarn over and pull through. This will leave you with 3 loops on your hook. Yarn over and pull it through 2 loops. Yarn over and pull all the way through, leaving one loop on the hook.
4. Add a double crochet into each chain across your foundation chain.
5. Chain 2.
6. Turn your work.
7. Add a (FPDC) double crochet into the front post (skipping the very first post on the edge).
8. Add a (FPDC) double crochet into the next 3 front posts. You will now have 4 front post double crochets.
9. Next you will be adding 4 more double crochets. But this time, work into the back post (BPDC).
10. Now add 4 more (FPDC) double crochets, working into the next 4 front posts.
11. Repeat steps 9–10 until you get to the end. The end should match the beginning. So, if you started with 4 (FPDC) front post double crochets, you would end with 4 (FPDC) front post double crochets.
12. You will be left with a chain 3 at the edge. Add a half double crochet into the top chain.
13. Chain 2.
14. Turn your work.
15. Make 4 (BPDC) double crochets into the back posts.
16. Make 4 (FPDC) double crochets into the front posts.
17. Repeat steps 15–16 until you get to the end. The end should match the beginning. So, if you started with 4 (BPDC) back post double crochets, you would end with 4 (BPDC) back post double crochets.
18. You will have one double crochet from the previous row. Add a half double crochet into the top stitch.
19. Chain 2.
20. Turn your work.
21. Make 4 (BPDC) back post double crochets.
22. Make 4 (FPDC) front post double crochets.
23. Repeat steps 21-22 until you reach the end.
24. Add a half double crochet into the top chain of the last stitch.
25. Chain 2.
26. Turn your work.
27. This row will start with FPDC. Continue repeating the FPDC and BPDC stitches and end each row with a half double crochet followed by 2 chains.
Basket Weave Crochet Stitch Tutorial
10 Basket Weave Crochet Patterns
The basket weave crochet stitch creates a fun, textured pattern. Once you get the hand g it, it is very easy to work. Now that you have practised and know the basics of creating the basket weave crochet stitch, give one of these patterns a try.
1. Diagonal Diamonds Throw Blanket Basket Weave Crochet Pattern by MamaInAStitch
Crochet this beautiful throw for yourself or as a housewarming gift. The blanket features a stunning diagonal basketweave fabric. It would look perfect in any space in your home. The basket weave crochet stitch makes it visually interesting and extra cosy.
This is an intermediate level crochet pattern. The finished lapghan will measure approximately 35 inches (88.9 cm) x 45 inches (114.3 cm).
Find the Pattern by MamaInAStitch HERE
2. Dream Weaver Beanie Crochet Pattern by CrochetItCreationsUS
The Dream Weaver Beanie is made using the basket weave crochet stitch. The hat has a textured design and fold up brim for extra warmth.
The crochet hat pattern comes in 3 sizes: toddler, child, and adult. It uses medium 4 weight yarn and a J (6 mm) crochet hook.
Find the Pattern by CrochetItCreationsUS HERE
3. Women’s Crochet Basket Weave Beret Pattern by LiveCraftLoveTCC
You will look super cute wearing this crochet beret. The hat is stylish and comfortable. The completed beret will fit an average teen/adult head. When finished, it will have a lot of stretch.
Find the Pattern by LiveCraftLoveTCC HERE
4. Crochet Basket Weave Stitch Washcloth Pattern by Megmade with Love
If you are new to the basket weave stitch, this would make a great first project. The border is created using single crochet and half double crochet.
The free crochet pattern makes a 9.25 inch (23.5 cm) x 8.75 inch (22.22 cm) washcloth.
Find the Pattern by Megmade with Love HERE
5. Crochet Basket Weave Scarf Pattern by NinjaBunnyCrochet
Make a few of these Basket Weave Crochet scarfs for yourself and your friends. This is an easy-level pattern that requires basic knowledge of half double crochet, double crochet, front post double crochet, and back post double crochet. You can make the scarf any length by adding or subtracting rows.
Find the Pattern by NinjaBunnyCrochet HERE
6. Preemie Thick Basketweave Afghan Crochet Pattern by Ambassadorcrochet
Use the basket weave crochet stitch to make this adorable little preemie afghan. The blanket is thick to keep your baby extra warm.
Completed, the afghan will measure approximately 21 inches (53.34 cm) x 22 inches (55.88 cm). There are instructions for resizing the pattern to make it bigger.
Get the Pattern by ambassadorcrochet HERE
7. Basketweave Pillow Cover Crochet Pattern by CrochetSpotPatterns
Work up a couple of these throw pillows to toss on your bed or couch. The basket weave crochet stitch pattern will make a pillow cover that will fit a 12 inch (30.48 cm) square pillow.
You can make the throw pillow stand out by using large colourful buttons, or you can use simple monochrome buttons instead. It is an intermediate level crochet pattern.
Find the Pattern by CrochetSpotPatterns HERE
8. DIY Crochet Basket Weave Bin with Handles Pattern by swellamy
Make a pretty and practical basket with the basket weave crochet stitch. This basket will look beautiful in any colour. You can use the finished basket to hold your yarn and crochet tools.
The completed basket will measure about 13 inches (33.02 cm) in diameter and 10 inches (25.4 cm) tall.
Find the Pattern by swellamy HERE
9. Basket Weave Afghan Pattern by Crochet Kim
Are you searching for a free basket weave crochet stitch pattern? Check out this lovely afghan from Crochet Kim. Completed, the blanket will measure about 52 inches (132.08 cm) x 68 inches (172.72 cm).
Find the Pattern by Crochet Kim HERE
10. Messy Bun Bobbi Beanie Pattern by Crochetlife4me
You do not have to worry about smashing your bun or ponytail with this beanie. That hat was designed with a hole on top to pull your hair through.
This PDF crochet pattern includes a video tutorial. This beanie is worked from the top down, in the round. The pattern is crocheted around a hair elastic.
Find the Pattern by Crochetlife4me HERE
Are you ready to try your hand at making the basket weave crochet stitch? Work up one of these patterns.
Learning a new stitch is fun. And the basket weave stitch is no different. Get busy today, working on a basket weave crochet stitch pattern.
If you’re up for more crochet stitch tutorials, you can check out our
Spider Stitch Crochet Tutorial
Diamond Crochet Stitch Tutorial
Bullion Stitch Crochet Tutorial
Crochet Shamrock Stitch Tutorial
Crochet Feather Stitch Tutorial
Check out all of our crochet stitch tutorials here and do share your experience learning the stitch on our Facebook Page.
We hope you have enjoyed learning the basket weave crochet stitch.