Crocheting is a lot of fun. And there are so many stitches, it can be impossible to memorise them all. If you have passed up patterns that use the crochet fan stitch because you do not know how to make it, you have come to the right place. Below is a step-by-step tutorial for you and some interesting patterns to try.
What Is the Crochet Fan Stitch?
The crochet fan stitch creates large stitches that resemble fans or shells. Repeating the stitch creates an open, almost lacy look. It is a fairly simple stitch to learn.
What Can the Crochet Fan Stitch be Used For?
The crochet fan stitch is an interesting stitch that is full of texture. It is often used in patterns that have an open, airy design.
The crochet fan stitch can be used in projects such as:
- Baby Bonnets
Step-by-Step Crochet Fan Stitch Tutorial
The crochet fan stitch may look complicated, but it is very easy to learn. Do not let the look of the finished stitch intimidate you. Take it one step at a time, and you will be making these gorgeous stitches in no time at all.
- Coordinating Crochet Hook
- Darning needle to work in the end when you are done
Crochet Fan Stitch Tutorial:
1. Begin by creating a chain in a multiple of 4.
2. Add a double crochet into the 4th chain from the hook.
3. Add another double crochet into the same chain.
4. Chain one.
5. Add one more double crochet into the fourth chain from the hook.
6. Skip 3 chains and add 3 double crochets into the 4th chain.
7. Chain one,
8. Add one more double crochet into the same chain as the last 3 double crochets.
9. Repeat steps 6-8 until you reach the end of your chain.
10. Chain 3. These 3 chains will count as a double crochet.
11. Turn your project.
12. In the large chain one space, add 2 double crochets.
13. Chain 1.
14. Add one more double crochet into the same large chain one space.
15. Skip the next 4 double crochets and add 3 double crochets into the next large chain one space.
16. Chain 1.
17. Add one more double crochet into the same large chain one space.
18. Repeat steps 14-16 until you only have one fan stitch left.
19. Skip the next 4 double crochets and add 3 double crochets into the next large chain one space.
20. Chain 1.
21. Add your last double crochet into the space created by the three chains on the edge of the project.
22. Repeat steps 10-21 until your project is the desired length.
We told you the crochet fan stitch was easy to make. Now that you know the basics of creating the stitch, take a look at the 10 patterns listed below.
1. Euphorica Crochet Scarf Pattern by Yarnissimo
The Euphorica Scarf has lots of visual interest. It features shells, puff stitches, crochet fan stitches, and picot. It looks amazing when crafted with slightly fuzzy yarn.
This pattern is great for the confident beginner as well as experienced crocheters. It is worked flat. The edging is added at the end. Completed, the scarf is approximately 68 inches (172.72 cm) long by 10.5 inches (26.67 cm) wide.
2. Crochet Fan Stitch Blanket Pattern by SoHappyInRed
Make this cosy blanket to toss on the back of your couch or the foot of your bed. The blanket is bright and beautiful. It has an exotic look and feel thanks to the crochet fan stitches.
This pattern is in English and uses US crochet terms. The PDF crochet pattern contains a step-by-step written tutorial, photos, and a clear crochet chart.
3. Crochet Feather and Fan Baby Blanket Pattern by Persia Lou
This free baby blanket pattern uses the crochet feather stitch and fan stitch. The combination of the stitches creates a beautiful lacy blanket. The pattern includes both a written pattern and a video tutorial.
4. Crochet Fan Stitch Summer Bag Pattern by GreeeneCrafts
This stylish bag is created using the crochet fan stitch. It looks great with all types of clothing. Carry it when dressed up or down.
Included with the written instructions are a schematic diagram and a lot of pictures. Finished, it will measure about 13.7 inches (35 cm) wide x 14.5 inches (37 cm) high. With the handles, it is 24 inches high (61 cm).
For more Crochet Beach Bag Patterns, click here.
5. Crochet Baby Blanket with 3D Crochet Fan Stitch Pattern by crochetforbabystore
Crochet this sweet little baby blanket using the crochet fan stitch. The blanket can easily be customised for a baby girl or boy.
This pattern is written in US English terms and includes a link to a video tutorial. It can be made bigger or smaller by simply increasing or decreasing the rows.
6. Easy Open Fan Stitch Victorian Shawl by JaydaInStitches
Make this fancy little Victorian shawl to wear to a tea party, church, or other upscale function. It is lightweight and sits comfortably around the shoulders.
This pattern uses the very easy crochet fan stitch. The pattern is recommended for advanced beginners to intermediate level crocheters.
7. Crochet Fan Stitch Baby Blanket Pattern by Crochet n Crafts
Work up this baby blanket for a baby shower or yourself. This blanket would make a great lap blanket for keeping the chill off your legs.
The finished blanket will measure about 31.5 inches (80 cm) square. You can crochet it in a single colour as shown, or get fancy and use a rainbow of colours.
8. Crochet Fan Stitch Coaster Pattern Vintage Inspired by WhimsyAndKnots
Create a handful of these coasters to add a handmade touch to your home. The pattern is very versatile and fits well with all decors.
This is an easy to intermediate level crochet pattern. You will need to know how to chain, slip stitch, single crochet, and double crochet.
Also see: Crochet Coaster Patterns
9. Shells & Fans Blanket Pattern by TheTwistedGrannyShop
Here is a unique blanket pattern. The finished project is round. It would make a great accent piece draped over the back of a couch.
The download includes a full-colour pattern, tips and tips, and complete written instructions.
10. Baby Bonnet Crochet Fan and V Stitch Pattern by 4aSong
Use the crochet fan stitch to make this sweet baby bonnet. It would make a great accessory for a newborn photo shoot and for keeping warm. The pattern has three size options: newborn, 1-3 months, and 3-6 months.
Now that you know how to make the crochet fan stitch, work on one of these patterns.
Feel free to share your finish creations on our Facebook Page. And don’t miss our Chevvron Stitch Tutorial, Trinity Stitch Tutorial, Zig-Zag Rib Stitch Tutorial, Picot Fan Crochet Stitch Tutorial, and all our crochet stitch tutorials here.
The fan stitch is a fun stitch to make. It is eye catching with a lot of texture. We hope that our crochet fan stitch tutorial has helped you learn a new stitch.