The best part?We have rounded up 26 of the best crocodile stitch patterns and projects for you to practice with.
The Crocodile Crochet Stitch TutorialFrom how it looks, you can probably understand why this stitch is called the Crocodile Crochet Stitch. It creates a layered look of scale-like texture that creates a bulky fabric. The scales this stitch creates look a little intimidating because of how intricate it looks, but guess what? The texture in this stitch is achieved using basic crochet stitches only!
Crocodile Crochet Stitch InstructionsAre you ready for the fun part? Prepare your yarns and hook and get ready to crochet! To create the rows of scales, you will have to learn how to make the two alternating rows that will create the fabric. First, you’ll work on a row of single double crochet, and two double crochets in a stitch worked in an alternating pattern that will hold the scales. Second, you’ll work on the row that makes the scale-like texture pattern. To begin the pattern, make a foundation row in multiples of five plus one. For this tutorial, we’ll be using 20 + 1 chain stitches.
Row 1Now that you have your chain stitches, make two double crochet in the 6th chain from your hook. *Chain 1, skip 2 chain stitches, and make single double crochet in the next stitch. Chain 1, skip 2 chain stitches and make 2 double crochets in the next stitch.* Continue in this pattern until the end of the row. Turn.
Row 2Chain 1. Skip the single double crochet from the previous row. You’ll start working on the first pair of double crochet stitches (2 double crochet in a single stitch from the previous row). Please note that you’ll be making double crochet stitches around the post, just like working back post stitches. So work on the first double crochet stitch by making 5 double crochet stitches around the post, working towards the foundation chain. After that, you’ll be working on the second double crochet stitch. Make another 5 double crochet stitches around the post, this time working away from the foundation chain. Slip stitch in next single double crochet (to hold the scales in place), then repeat the pattern until the end of the row. Turn.
Row 3Chain 3, and make a double crochet in the same stitch. * Chain 1, and make a double crochet in the middle of the scale from the previous row. Chain 1, and make 2 double crochets in the top of the slip stitch from the previous row. * Continue working on this pattern until the end of the row. If the previous row you worked on ended with a scale, make a double crochet in the left corner of the scale. Turn.
Row 4Repeat Row 2
Row 5Chain 1, and slip stitch in the center of the scale. Make another chain 4 (will considered as double crochet and chain 1), then make 2 double crochets in the next slip stitch. * Chain 1, make single double crochet in the center of the next scale. Chain 1, make 2 double crochets in the next slip stitch. * Continue this pattern until the end of the row. If you ended the previous row with a scale, make a double crochet in the left corner of the scale. Turn. Want to have smaller scales? Instead of using double crochet stitch, you can opt to use half double crochet to make the scales smaller.
Crochet The Crocodile Stitch Video Tutorial
26 Crochet Crocodile Stitch Patterns To TryCrocodile stitch crochet patterns are bringing a change to crochet. Crochet has been around for a very long time. With any hobby and craft, its popularity ebbs and flows over time as fashions change. We’ve been enjoying the resurgence of interest in crochet these last few years. It has brought to the fore some very popular new designers and stitches. Unless you’ve been living in a cave, you’ve probably seen how popular the Crocodile Stitch has become. We’ve had a couple of readers email us and ask us to put together a round-up of our favorite crochet patterns. So here is the Crocodile Stitch and we are happy to oblige.
1. Crocodile Stitch Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern by YarnspirationsEmbrace the extra-ordinary with this gorgeous blanket to keep the baby warm. A crocodile stitch is what creates layers of texture that make this afghan so distinctive.
Get the Pattern here
2. Crocodile Stitch Owl Gloves Crochet Pattern by Bonita PatternsThese owl fingerless gloves are fun and work up pretty fast making them ideal as a quick project for a gift or selling the finished items. An intermediate crocheter or even a dedicated beginner will master this stitch in no time at all.
3. Crocodile Stitch Yoga Sock Crochet Pattern by Jonna Martinez CrochetThis Crocodile Stitch Yoga Sock Pattern is written for the intermediate/ advanced Crocheter. This pattern includes many step-by-step photos and includes 3 sizes. Make these lovely socks today and take them to your next yoga class!
4. Crocodile Stitch Mermaid Tail Blanket Crochet Pattern by All About AmiThis Crochet Mermaid Tail Blanket Pattern uses crocodile stitches to mimic real mermaid scales. Make it in solid or vibrant colors so it will be a perfect sleep accessory, photo prop, or everyday blanket for any girl, at any age!
Get the Pattern here
5. Pineapple Blanket Cocoon Crochet Pattern by MJs Off The Hook DesignsUse this Pineapple Blanket Cocoon as a sun tanning mat by the pool or snuggle up on the patio after a swim. It’s a sleeping bag-style cocoon that is perfect to cozy up in regardless of the season! Due to the thick texture, you can use this piece as a decorative rug. The pattern is written for child-size pictured but includes notes on how to make it larger for a teen or adult. You can also make a baby size cocoon by working this pattern in worsted weight yarn and a 5 mm crochet hook.
6. Crochet Crocodile Stitch Bag Pattern by Knitcro AddictThis project is an intermediate crochet bag using a crocodile stitch. It turns out really cute and it’s very handy for everyday use. Perfect for those upcoming holiday parties, a beautiful and elegant purse. For an added touch of glamour, you can attach a pearl or bead to the center of the crocodile stitches.
7. Crocodile Stitch Drawstring Purse Crochet Pattern by Craft PassionAdvance your crochet skills with this amazing Crocodile Drawstring Purse. This bag is totally stylish and makes a superb addition to any bag collection. A small purse that’s great for a weekend out and tea with friends.
Get the Pattern here
8. Crocodile Stitch Crochet Bikini Pattern by Capitana UncinoThis beautiful bikini is made with crocodile stitch, it is explained step by step with photos and a chart to help you with your work. Another wonderful piece you can create with this pattern. This Crochet Mermaid Bikini is mesmerizing!
9. Crochet Crocodile Stitch Scarf Pattern by Zoom YummyThis Crocodile Stitch Scarf is one that you will love wearing out around town. The crocodile stitch is used giving this scarf a bit of flare. You can use a solid color, multiple colors, or a variegated yarn for a fun and festive look.
10. Feather And Scale Halter Top Crochet Pattern by Morale FiberThis Feather and Scale Halter Top uses fine variegated cotton blend yarn to create an eye-catching gradient of crocodile stitch scales on the outer top, with a built-in inner cup lining for coverage and support. The cross-back ties keep the weight off of the neck so you can comfortably dance & groove that feathery fringe into motion!
11. Crocodile Stitch Booties Crochet Pattern by Bonita PatternsThese delightful crocodile stitch booties add a touch of rainbow to any ensemble and will transform even the gloomiest of moods into bright smiles and giggles. Each pair of these colorful booties are made using a crocodile stitch technique, rainbow yarn, and buttons. These cute little shoes are also designed so that they sit slightly higher on the ankle, ensuring they are comfortable and cozy enough that your little one won’t tug them off.
12. Crocodile Stitch Crochet Dress Pattern by Bonita PatternsIn this pattern, the crocodile stitch is featured in an easy to construct and always flattering girly dress. This adorable piece is the perfect addition to any little one’s wardrobe and makes an amazing gift any little girl will love.
13. Crocodile Stitch Cowl Crochet Pattern by Zoom YummyThe vibrant petals burst off this Crocodile Stitch Cowl with so much life and excitement. It has a great personality with its interesting texture and almost three-dimensional appearance. The cute cowl that you can create with this pattern is about 6 1/4 inches (16 cm) high and 12 1/4 inches (31 cm) wide.
14. Crocodile Stitch Sandals Crochet Pattern by Crochet Baby BoutiqueBeautiful to look at, wonderfully warm to wear, and surprisingly easy to make, these Crocodile Stitch Sandals tick all of the right boxes from top to bottom! The pattern is designed in such a way that you get sturdy sandals that you can comfortably walk in.
15. Evergreen Christmas Tree Crochet Pattern by In SL StitchesThis Evergreen Christmas Tree Crochet Pattern is a quick and easy project that is sure to help add some Christmas cheer to your home decor for the holidays.
16. Crocodile Stitch Messy Bun Hat Crochet Pattern by Bonita PatternsRock out the rest of your winter by being a magical, messy mermaid with this adorable Crocodile Stitch Messy Bun Hat! It’s easy to make and has a gorgeous sparkle and texture when finished. The pattern shows how to make it adjustable so you can wear it under your messy bun on the hat, or above your ponytail! Instructions for adult and children sizes are included in the pattern.
17. Crocodile Animal Rug Crochet Pattern by Ira Rott PatternsThis Crocodile Animal Rug is a fun, cuddly, and very protective friend who will start a great adventure in your jungle-themed room. Your little one will be mesmerized by this fun and soft crocodile animal rug! You can change up the colors as you like for the little one you’re making it for, be it pink, blue, yellow, green, or rainbow!
18. Crochet Owl Pattern by Crazy 4 Crochet 71This adorable owl sits around 9 inches tall when using DK yarn and a 3mm hook. Because of the crocodile stitch that was used, this crochet owl looks as if its body is covered with real feathers. This would be pretty for home decoration and a sweet handmade gift.
19. Crocodile Tears Boot Cuffs Crochet Pattern by Yarn TwistedThese crocodile tears boot cuffs are ribbed to fit snugly inside your boots and the tops are made in crocodile stitch for extra warmth. The crocodile stitch adds a beautiful accent to these boot cuffs. Don’t be intimidated, give it a try, and see how easy this stitch can be! And how much fun would these be for gifts?
20. Sunflower Crochet Hat Pattern by Auburn CraftCrocodile stitches give this Sunflower Crochet Hat a great texture. This pattern is available in different sizes. You can make matching hats for mothers and daughters in your family to brighten up cold days. Awesome project, right?
21. Mountain Magic Cardigan Crochet Pattern by Colorado ShireStep into a fairy tale, as you wrap yourself in this one-of-a-kind cardigan. This sweater combines some of the best things in crochet; dragon scales, fingerless gloves, and a hood! Whether you’re taking a walk in the enchanted forest, or sipping tea in your local tea shop, this will be your favorite cardigan
22. Crocodile Stitch Sunflower Square Crochet Pattern by Creations By Caitlin JThis beautiful crocodile stitch sunflower square crochet pattern and tutorial is fun to work and can be made for so many things! This crochet pattern results in a 10 inch by 10-inch square that is great for making hot pads, blankets, and any other pattern requiring a square!
23. Crocodile Stitch Pillow Crochet Pattern by Knit A Bit Crochet AwayMake this trendy ruffle pillow an accessory to your couch that also provides great lumbar support. The brighter the color, the better!
24. Crochet Flamingo Feet Baby Booties Pattern by YarnutopiaIn spite of the fact that these booties were intended for a 6-month old child, changing snare sizes can build the span of the example for a somewhat more seasoned newborn child. This Flamingo Feet Baby Booties Crochet Pattern is an unbelievably versatile pattern not only because you can make them any size but also you can use the same guidelines to make gorgeous Swans, Ducks, peacocks, and more! With these super cute booties, you and your little one can totally stand out in a crowd!
Get the Pattern here
25. Crocodile Stitch Shawl Crochet Pattern by Meladoras Creation PDFThis fashion-forward Crocodile Stitch Shawl features a dramatic and gorgeous design that you will love to wear. The famous crocodile stitch takes center stage in this design, while the shawl is framed with fringes for a beautiful look. You can use any hook size and yarn for this project. Perhaps, this project might be a good way to make a dent in your yarn stash!
26. Capuche Hood Crocodile Stitch Hat by Bonita PatternsThis crocodile stitch hat stands out from the other gazillion hat and beanie patterns out there. It is really hard to stand out. But if you want a statement piece, then this hood is it! Featuring the ever-popular crocodile stitch, along with tassels, a pom-pom, and great style, we think this hat is worth your crochet time. Even better, it’s a free downloadable pattern with great step-by-step instructions including photos.
- 3 balls of worsted weight yarn– approximately 250 yards.
- US size I (5.50 mm) crochet hook
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
Crochet Crocodile Stitch Queen – Lianka Azulay of Bonita PatternsThe undoubted queen of the Crocodile Stitch is Lianka Azulay of Bonita Patterns. Many of our favorites from her store have found their way into the round-up above, but you can find ALL of her brilliant patterns, many of which feature the Crocodile Stitch in her Etsy store – Bonita Patterns HERE. She is also the author of the book ‘Crocodile Stitch Fashions‘ which is available on Amazon.
Fashionable and simple to create, the crocodile stitch is popular among crocheters. This instructional book assists crafters in mastering the stitch. Made with a simple chain stitch and a double crochet. The eight patterns in this book are supported by step-by-step photographs and detailed instructions. There is one shawl, a hood, two pairs of wrist warmers, three hats and a neck warmer. As usual for an Annie’s Attic publication the step by step photos are very clear and the instructions are completely accessible to the beginner crocheter.The pattern is perfect for creating some fun brightly colored pieces your loved ones can show off and look sassy in. I am all in for projects that scream personality, style, and comfort which is exactly what the crochet crocodile stitch offers. So go grab some yarn and a hook and see what exciting pieces you can create using this pattern.