Are you looking for a way to add an interesting border to some of your crochet projects? The crochet scalloped edge is a great technique for quickly adding that special touch and creating a finished look.
What is a Crochet Scalloped Edge?
The crochet scallop edge is also referred to as the crochet shell border. It is an easy technique to learn. It produces semicircles along the edge of a crocheted project, creating a feminine touch.
When Can You Use the Crochet Scalloped Edge?
The crochet scallop edge is a versatile stitch. You can use it to create a border on the bottom edge, sides, top, or all the way around your project. You can use the crochet scallop edge on almost any project that needs a border.
The crochet scallop edge can be used on projects such as:
- Dish cloths
Step-by-Step Crochet Scalloped Edge Tutorial
One of the easiest edgings to learn is the crochet scalloped edge.
· Project that Needs a Border
· Coordinating Crochet Hook
Crochet Scalloped Edge Tutorial:
1. Place a slip stitch into the first stitch where you want to start the crochet scalloped border on your started project.
2. Add a single crochet into the same stitch.
3. Skip the next stitch.
4. Into the stitch after the skipped stitch, add 5 double crochets.
5. Skip the next stitch.
6. Into the stitch after the skipped stitch, add a single crochet. This completes one scallop.
7. Add a single crochet into the next stitch.
8. Skip the next stitch.
9. Into the stitch after the skipped stitch, add 5 double crochets.
10. Skip the next stitch.
11. Into the stitch after the skipped stitch, add a single crochet.
12. Repeat steps 7-11 until you have a finished border.
13. End the scalloped crochet border by working a slip stitch into the first single crochet.
Now that you know just how easy it is to make the crochet scalloped edge border, let’s look at 10 patterns.
10 Scallop Border Crochet Patterns
1. Mikeisha’s Baby Blanket Pattern by OumaRalie
Here is a versatile baby blanket pattern that has a crochet shell border. You can start working on the blanket in a neutral colour, then once you know the gender of the baby you can add a coloured ribbon.
The body of this crochet baby blanket is super-easy to make. If you already know how to single crochet and a double crochet, you can make the bobble stitch.
You can also change the borders with our blanket edging crochet patterns.
2. Crochet Scalloped Edge Coasters Pattern by hennasboutique
This is a great little crochet coaster pattern. You can make these coasters in a wide variety of colours. You can use them yourself or make them as a housewarming gift.
When completed, the coasters will measure about 4.75 inches (12 cm) in diameter. The crochet pattern is detailed with easy-to-follow written directions and a diagram.
3. Scalloped Crochet Border Raffia Shoulder Bag Clutch Pattern by KoshioKrafts
Make this gorgeous bag for a special occasion or for everyday use. Create one in a neutral colour to match all your outfits. Or have fun and use a bright, striking colour that will draw attention.
This crochet pattern mainly uses US double crochet, with some horizontal puff stitches for extra detail. It is an intermediate level pattern that requires counting, varied stitch patterns, and the scallop border crochet technique.
4. Crochet Scalloped Edge Summer Crop Top Pattern by ForthefrillsStore
The Forget-Me-Not Top has a boxy fit, wide neck, and scalloped crochet edge. The top was inspired by the petals of blue forget-me-not flowers.
This is an easy and quick project. The pattern is worked from the neck down. This makes the length easily customisable. Includes are instructions for sizes x-small, small, medium, large, x-large, 2XL, and 3XL.
Also see: Crochet Halter Top and Crop Top Patterns
5. Cotton Baby Blanket with Crochet Shell Border by Krissys Over the Mountain Crochet
Are you looking for a crochet pattern for a baby shower? Make this crochet shell border blanket for a little boy or girl.
The blanket has an extra wide shell border. Completed, the blanket will measure 40 inches (101.6 cm) x 40 inches (101.6 cm).
6. Emerald Scalloped Crochet Border Scarf Pattern by Ariana Hall
This lovely scarf has a light, airy feel to it. This is a two-row repeat pattern, which means, you will alternate between rows 3 and 4. You can use this pattern to create any length of scarf you desire.
7. Cherry or Rose Scallop Border Crochet Beanie Pattern by JTeasycrochet
Crochet this adorable beanie for a photo prop or everyday use. It can be made with either a flower or cherries. Both patterns are included.
The pattern comes in 4 sizes: 0-6 months, 6 months – 2 years, 2-5 years and up, and teens and adults. This is a beginner-friendly pattern with a crochet scalloped border.
8. Baby Blanket Scallop Border Crochet Pattern by loganberryhandmade
This crochet pattern will teach you how to create a beautiful baby afghan. The blanket is soft, cuddly, and delicate. It is finished with an elegant and traditional crochet scalloped border.
Completed, the blanket will measure approximately 30 inches (76.2 cm) by 32.5 inches (82.55 cm). You will need to know how to make single crochet and double crochet stitches.
9. Summer Dress with V-Neck Scallop Border Crochet Pattern by ForthefrillsStore
Featuring a crochet shell border and a lightly flared body, this cute little dress is summer chic. The pattern has so many customisation options, you can truly make this a one-of-a-kind piece.
Along with the summer dress pattern is a pattern for the Seascape Tank Top. Both patterns are easy to complete. They are written using US crochet terms and include step-by-step instructions with pictures.
10. Victorian Scalloped Cowl Crochet Pattern by chezpascale
Are you an advanced beginner looking for an elegant cowl pattern? Check out this beautiful design.
This is an easy crochet pattern that only requires 1 ball of yarn. To complete the scarf, you only basic crochet knowledge and experience with crocheting in the round.
Are you looking for an attractive border for your crochet projects? The crochet scalloped edge adds interest and style.
Are you new to adding borders to your crochet projects? Are you looking for an easy technique? Then you have got to try the crochet scalloped edge stitch technique.