Are you looking for a new crochet project that is simple, yet stunning? Check out the wave crochet stitch. The stitch creates a beautiful wave design that has a lot of interest and texture. Below you will learn how to make the wave stitch. We have also included 10 wave crochet patterns for you to try.
What is the Crochet Wave Stitch?
The wave crochet pattern is an interesting design. Just as the name suggests, the crochet stitch creates a wave pattern. The stitches have a 3D appearance that gives your project texture. It is an easy beginner-friendly stitch that is a lot of fun to make.
Wave Crochet Patterns
The stitch can be found in a variety of crochet patterns.
Types of patterns that incorporate the crochet wave stitch:
- Baby Blankets
How to Make the Crochet Wave Stitch
First, gather your supplies. For this tutorial, you can use some of your scrap yarn.
· Scrap Yarn
· Coordinating Crochet Hook
Crochet Wave Stitch Tutorial:
Below, are the basic steps for creating the wave crochet pattern. To make the crochet wave stitch you will need to know how to make a slip stitch and half double crochet.
1. Create a foundation row. For this tutorial, we will be chaining 36. You can use a multiple of 10 plus 6.
2. Begin Row 1 – In the second chain from the hook create a slip stitch.
3. Create a slip stitch into the next 4 chains.
4. Make a half double crochet into the next 5 chains.
5. Create a slip stitch in the next 5 chains.
6. Make a half double crochet into the next 5 chains.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you reach the end of the row.
8. Turn your work.
9. Begin Row 2 – Start the next row by adding a slip stitch in the first 5 slip stitches in the previous row.
10. Make a half double crochet into the next 5 half double crochets in the previous row.
11. Create a slip stitch in the next 5 slip stitches in the previous row.
12. Repeat steps 10–11 until you reach the end of the row.
13. Begin Row 3 – Chain 2. (this is your first half double crochet)
14. Turn your work.
15. Add 4 more half double crochets.
16. Create a slip stitch in the next 5 half double crochet stitches in the previous row.
17. Create a half double stitch in the next 5 slip stitches in the previous row.
18. Repeat steps 16-17 until you reach the end of the row.
19. Begin Row 4 – Chain 2. (this is your first half double crochet)
20. Turn your work.
21. Add 4 more half double crochet stitches into the half double crochet stitches in the previous row.
22. Create a slip stitch in the next 5 slip stitches in the previous row.
23. Create a half double stitch in the next 5 half double crochet stitches in the previous row.
24. Repeat steps 22-23 until you reach the end of the row.
25. Begin Row 5 – Start the next row by adding a slip stitch in the first 5 half double crochet stitches in the previous row.
26. Create a half double crochet stitch in the next 5 slip stitches in the previous row.
27. Create a slip stitch in the next 5 half double crochet stitches in the previous row.
28. Create a half double stitch in the next 5 slip stitches in the previous row.
29. Repeat steps 27-28 until you reach the end of the row.
30. Repeat rows 2-5 until you have the desired length.
10 Wave Crochet Patterns
The wave crochet stitch is a beginner level crochet stitch. It is super easy to learn. Once you get the hang of it, you will definitely want to put your new skills to use. Below you will find 10 projects that use the wave crochet stitch.
1. Benjamin Throw Crochet Wave Stitch Pattern by LittleMonkeyShop
The Benjamin Throw blanket is the ideal size for cuddling up and drinking your morning coffee. It uses your favourite colour combination. Or pick 3 of your giftee’s favourite colours.
This blanket is a beginner to intermediate level crochet project. It is crocheted using the wave crochet pattern. It is reversible and has straight side edges. Completed, the blanket will measure approximately 50 inches (127 cm) x 60 inches (152.4 cm).
2. Crochet Wave Stitch Blanket Pattern by Nohooksgiven
Keep toasty warm wrapped up in this cuddly afghan. Use bright fun colours for a woman or muted colours for a man. You can even make blankets to decorate for the holidays.
To make this wave crochet pattern you will need to know the bases of crochet, counting stitches, and how to read basic crochet terminology. It is an advanced beginner to intermediate level crochet pattern.
3. Beanie Crochet Wave Stitch Tutorial
Use this free wave crochet pattern to learn how to make a beanie. This is an easy-to-follow video tutorial that walks you through the process.
This pattern is suitable for beginners. To make the beanie you will need 100% acrylic yarn (4 medium weight), a 4 mm crochet hook, a 5 mm crochet hook, scissors, and a yarn needle.
4. Crochet Shawl Pattern by Nohooksgiven
Make this light and airy shawl for yourself or as a gift. The shawl is beautiful, and it would make a great accessory for spring and fall.
The Twilight Shore Wrap is for intermediate to advanced level crocheters. The pattern combines 2 different wave crochet patterns. It is worked flat
5. Baby Blanket Wave Crochet Pattern by LittleMonkeyShop
This lovely baby blanket wave crochet pattern is a fun project. It uses the wave stitch to create a multicoloured pattern.
The blanket would make a great gift for a baby shower or a small child. Completed the stroller size blanket will measure 30 inches (76.2 cm) x 38 inches (96.52 cm).
6. Over The Rainbow Blanket Crochet Wave Stitch Pattern by YarnHookNeedles
This rainbow blanket wave crochet pattern was designed for mothers who have experienced a miscarriage. The blanket is a way to celebrate a precious life that was lost way too early.
Even though this blanket was designed to celebrate a life lost, it is also appropriate to celebrate a newborn. The beautiful rainbow pattern will add a lot of colour to a nursery.
More Rainbow Crochet Blanket Patterns here.
7. Stitch Sampler Line Blanket Pattern by StoutosStuff
While you are practicing 7 different crochet stitches you can create this amazing blanket. This is a great pattern for anyone that wants to improve their crocheting skills.
The pattern includes 12 blanket sizes. The blankets range in size from cradle to king.
8. Crochet Wave Stitch Tutorial and Blanket by Easy Crochet
Make this colourful blanket by repeating the crochet stitch over and over. You can make the blanket any size you want by changing the stitch count.
This free wave crochet pattern uses worsted weight yarn, a size J (6 mm) crochet hook, scissors, and a yarn needle. You will need to know chain, single crochet, and double crochet.
9. Making Waves Market Bag Crochet Pattern
The Making Waves Market Bag is an easy crochet project. It uses basic crochet stitches that are repeated to create the waves.
The video tutorial contains a link to a free written crochet pattern. Finished, the bag will measure about 14 inches (35.56 cm) x 14.5 inches (36.83 cm) laid flat.
10. Wave Stitch Crochet Scarf Pattern by MeladorasCreationPDF
This unisex scarf is so pretty and easy to make. You will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly it works up. The scarf is made using multiples of the wave stitch so you can easily adjust the size.
The PDF wave crochet pattern comes with pictures and video tutorials for both right and left-handed crocheters.
The wave crochet pattern is an easy design that beginners can master in no time at all.
Are you looking to learn a new crochet technique? The wave crochet stitch is very easy to learn. The basic wave crochet pattern is created by repeating rows of slip stitches and half double crochet stitches.
We love seeing your works! So head over to our Facebook Page and feel free to post the patterns you worked on using this stitch.