The trinity crochet stitch is a beautiful stitch that is easy to make. It contains chain stitches and decrease stitches that produce three vertical bars per stitch.
The specialty crochet stitch makes a solid fabric with minimal holes. This makes the stitch ideal for crocheting scarves, hats, and bags.
What Is the Trinity Crochet Stitch?
The trinity crochet stitch is a speciality stitch that combines 3 different stitches. To make the trinity crochet stitch, you will need to know chain stitch, single crochet, and single crochet 3 together.
When these 3 stitches are combined, they create a tight fabric with very few holes.
When Would You Use the Trinity Crochet Stitch?
The trinity crochet stitch is a pretty stitch that creates texture and volume. It can be used in a wide variety of patterns. It is an interesting stitch that creates an eye caching pattern.
The trinity crochet stitch is often used when making:
Step-by-Step Trinity Crochet Stitch Tutorial
If you are familiar with the chain stitch, single crochet stitch, and sc3tog, then the trinity crochet stitch will be easy to learn. Even if you are not familiar with the stitches, you can learn this beautiful stitch with a little practice.
Crochet Trinity Stitch Tutorial:
1. Begin by crocheting a foundation chain. It needs to be an even number. In this tutorial, we will chain 16.
2. Start row one by adding a single crochet (sc) into the 2nd chain from the hook.
3. Continue with row one by single crocheting three together (Sc3tog) by inserting the hook back into the same stitch you just went into and the next two chains.
4. Chain 1
5. Single crocheting three together (Sc3tog) by inserting the hook back into the same stitch you just went into and the next two chains.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you reach the end of the row.
7. Add a single crochet into the last stitch.
8. Chain 1 and turn your project over.
9. Single crochet into the first stitch.
10. Single crochet three together (Sc3tog) by inserting the hook back into the same stitch you just went into and the next two chains.
11. Chain 1
12. Single crocheting three together (Sc3tog) by inserting the hook back into the same stitch you just went into and the next two chains.
13. Repeat steps 11 and 12 until you reach the end of the row.
14. Continue with your project by repeating steps 8 – 13
Now that you know how to create the beautiful trinity crochet stitch, it is time to put your new skill to use.
10 Trinity Stitch Crochet Patterns
Below are 10 crochet patterns that use the trinity crochet stitch. All these patterns create impressive projects you will want to show off.
1. Ocean Paradise Crochet Throw Blanket Pattern by PatternPrincessEtsy
You can make this cosy throw blanket using simple stitches. It is a dense throw with a soft texture that is ideal for cuddling on cold winter nights.
This afghan crochet pattern uses the trinity stitch and chain stitch throughout. The crochet border uses the front and back post double crochet stitches.
The completed blanket will measure around 41 inches (104.14 cm) wide x 51 inches (129.54 cm) long.
2. Beachy Washcloth Trio Pattern by SunSandStitch
These washcloths were inspired by the California beach. They have a beautiful pattern that is created using the waffle stitch, pebble stitch, and trinity stitch.
The pattern is written in US terms.
3. Appalachian Toque Pattern by CozyCoilsCrocheting
This is an excellent crochet pattern for making a man’s toque. However, you can use the pattern to create a hat for any gender and in any colour.
It is an intermediate to advanced level crochet pattern. The trinity stitch in the round requires concentration. But the completed toque/beanie is worth the work.
The pattern is worked in rounds from the top down, and the border is worked perpendicular to the toque.
4. Crochet Sweater Dress Pattern by TCDDIY
You can use this crochet pattern to make a snazzy crochet sweater dress, baggy sweater, or cropped sweater. This sweater dress is full of texture using the trinity stitch and single crochets.
The pattern is fun and easy to make thanks to the step-by-step pattern. The PDF download includes written instructions, a photo pattern, and a video tutorial.
This pattern is for a size small, but with a few simple measurements, it can be used for any size.
5. Scarf Trinity Stitch Pattern by The House Wide Life
Are you looking for a free pattern to try out your newfound trinity crochet stitch skills? This is an easy scarf pattern.
To complete the scarf, you will need one skein of worsted weight yarn, an N hook, a yarn needle, and scissors.
For more Crochet Scarf Patterns , just click here.
6. Crochet Spa Cloths Trinity Stitch Pattern by HighlandHickoryDsgns
These clothes would make the ideal stuffer for a gift basket. You could use them for a spa inspired basket or a kitchen basket. The baskets would make great housewarming or hostess gifts.
The cloths are crocheted using three different stitch patterns. You will need to know the trinity stitch, Suzette stitch, and the silt stitch. The colours can be customised to fit any decor.
7. Trinity Stitch Crochet Hat Pattern by Ned & Mimi
The Trinity Stitch Crochet Hat is a chunky hat with a distinctive striped appearance. Once you have the hat complete, you can even add a fun pom pom.
This unisex hat has a simple look and feel. The free crochet pattern is written for 4 sizes: toddler, child, teen, and adult. The hat is crocheted from the bottom up.
8. Trinity Infinity Scarf Crochet Pattern by Christineify
Here is a free infinity scarf crochet pattern that uses the trinity crochet stitch. It is a quick and easy crochet project that only requires one skein of Lion Brand Mandala Ombre yarn.
The pattern uses a simple one row repeat. This makes it a great pattern for working on while relaxing and watching your favourite shows.
9. Crochet Trinity Stitch Beanie Pattern by RichTexturesCrochet
Learn how to crochet the Trinity Beanie with this beginner level crochet pattern. The hat is worked in a super bulky weight yarn, so it works up quickly.
Completed, the trinity beanie will measure approximately 10 inches (25.4 cm) x 9 inches (22.86 cm) laid flat with a 20-21 inch (50.8-53.34 cm) circumference.
10. Appalachian Scarf Pattern by CozyCoilsCrocheting
This scarf was designed for a man. However, you can use the pattern to create a scarf for any gender in any colour. It has a unique striped design using the trinity stitch.
It is an intermediate level crochet pattern. The scarf is worked in rows lengthwise, and the border is worked perpendicular to the scarf body.
You can easily adjust the size by using the guidance provided in the pattern.
Are you ready to practice creating the trinity crochet stitch? We have included a wide range of patterns for you to try.
Crocheting is a fun hobby. And when you learn new stitches, you can work on even more projects. Be sure to post the patterns you make to our Facebook page.
If you are ready to take your skills to the next level, work on one or more of these crochet patterns that use the trinity crochet stitch.