I love the iris crochet stitch. It is a simple repeating pattern that does not take much concentration. This makes it a great stitch to work on while watching TV. In no time, you can create a beautiful baby blanket or throw.
What Is the Crochet Iris Stitch?
The iris stitch is similar to the V stitch. It creates a fabric that is lacy and fully reversible. If you know how to make the chain stitch and the double crochet stitch, you can master the iris stitch. It is a simple pattern that uses 2 double crochets followed by a slip stitch and 2 more double crochets.
Crochet Projects That Use the Iris Stitch
The iris stitch can be found in a wide variety of patterns. It is a great stitch to use for making fabric that is warm but not too hot. It is ideal for making lightweight baby blankets and cool weather accessories.
Some projects you will find that use the iris stitch are:
- …and More
How to Make the Crochet Iris Stitch
The crochet iris stitch looks complicated, but it is fairly simple to master.
Crochet Iris Stitch Tutorial:
1. Make a slip knot.
2. Create a row of chain stitches using a multiple of 4 plus 3.
3. In the 5th chain from the hook, make 2 double crochets.
4. Chain 1.
5. Add 2 more double crochets into the same 5th chain.
6. Skip 3 chains.
7. Make 2 double crochets into the next chain.
8. Chain 1.
9. Add 2 more double crochets into the same chain stitch.
10. Repeat steps 6-9 until you only have 2 chains left.
11. Skip 1 chain.
12. Make a double crochet in the last chain.
13. Chain 3 and turn your work.
14. Working into the chain 1 space in step 4, make 2 double crochets.
15. Chain 1.
16. Add 2 more double crochets into the same chain 1 (step 4) stitch.
17. Continue making 2 double crochets, chain 1, and 2 more double crochets into each chain 1 stitch along the row.
18. Make a double crochet in the last stitch.
19. Continue repeating steps 13-18, working into the chain one stitches in the previous row.
10 Iris Stitch Crochet Patterns
The iris stitch is a repeating stitch that is easy to learn. The fabric created using the stitch is lacy with a lot of texture. The stitch can be found in a variety of patterns from hats to blankets. Below, I have included 10 crochet patterns that use the iris stitch.
1. Crochet Iris Cowl Pattern by LeftinKnots
Use this iris stitch crochet pattern to make a beautiful, feminine cowl. The cowl has a lacy design that is warm, yet not overly heavy.
This pattern is suitable for an advanced beginner. The pattern calls for approximately 312 yards of Lion Brand Scarfie yarn (or category 5 yarn) and a 9.0 mm crochet hook. This pattern is for one size that will fit an average sized adult.
2. Iris Stitch Blanket Crochet Pattern by MadeByGootie
This is a beautiful, textured baby blanket. It is a modern take on the classic granny square style blanket. The crochet pattern is worked in the round from the middle out. It is an intermediate level pattern with an easy step-by-step colour photo tutorial.
3. Crochet Iris Stitch Baby Blanket Pattern by Liefgehaakt
Work up this iris stitch crochet blanket for and have it ready for the next baby shower you are invited to. The blanket is lightweight, lacy, and ideal for summer. The completed blanket will measure approximately 25.59 inches (65 cm) x 31.5 inches (80 cm).
4. Modern Iris Stitch Lacy Hat Pattern by LeftinKnots
The Iris Beanie is cute, cosy, and lacy. The pattern works up quickly, making it a good choice for gifts and craft fairs. The beginner-friendly pattern only uses one skein of Lion Brand Scarfie yarn. The completed hat will fit most adults.
5. Iris Crochet Stitch Tee Pattern by OriginallyLovely
The shirt has a simple lacy design. It would make a great coverup for summer. Wear it over a bikini top or a tank top.
This iris stitch crochet pattern is worked from the bottom to the top. It is worked in the round, then is separated at the arms and joined at the shoulders. The pattern includes 9 sizes from adult XS to 5X.
6. Iris Crochet Bloom Scarf Pattern by SweetBeeCrochetShop
Crochet this lovely, lightweight scarf using DK weight yarn. The scarf is ideal for chilly spring and fall days. The iris stitch is used throughout the crochet pattern. There are measurements for the length and width that can be adjusted. The tassels are optional.
7. Festive Iris Crochet Stitch Striped Throw by OuiCrochet
Use this free crochet pattern to make a festive holiday throw blanket. The striped pattern highlights the beauty of the iris stitch. The pattern uses a large size N crochet hook, so it will work up quickly.
8. Rainbow Reusable Market Bag Crochet Pattern by LeftinKnots
Work up this market bag to take on your next trip to the farmer’s market. This crochet bag is made using double strands of worsted weight yarn.
This pattern is suitable for advanced beginners. The pattern works up quickly. It is a great pattern for using up your stash yarn. The completed market bag will measure approximately 13.5 inches (34.29 cm) wide and 14.5 inches (36.83 cm) tall.
Find more eco-friendly but stylish market bags here.
9. Hot Pad Iris Stitch In a Crochet Square Pattern by MadeByGootie
Make a set of these for yourself or give them away as housewarming gifts. The hot pads work up quickly and have a modern look. The pattern uses DK yarn and a 4.0 mm crochet hook. Completed, a single hot pad will measure 7.5 inches (19 cm) x 7.5 inches (19 cm).
10. Crochet Iris Stitch Soap Bag Pattern by CrochetWithMaryBeth
Practice making the iris stitch with this soap bag pattern. This is a great pattern for packaging up soap and donating it to your local food pantry. Soap is often a highly requested commodity that is not often donated. The cosies also make great teacher’s gifts.
Also see: Crochet Soap Saver Patterns
Are you ready to start practicing the iris stitch? Try your hand at one of these iris crochet stitch patterns.
If you already know how to create the basic crochet stitches, it is time to add a new stitch to your repertoire. There is no better stitch to do this than the iris stitch. And share your makes on our Facebook Page.
Here’s more fun crochet tutorials you can try:
- Crochet Jasmine Stitch Tutorial with 10 Patterns To Try
- Crochet Curls Tutorial + 10 Patterns To Try
- How To Hand Crochet Tutorial With 10 Patterns To Try
We hope you had a great time learning how to make the Crochet iris Stitch.