Have you heard of hand crochet? If you are an avid crocheter, you have probably wondered why people choose to use their hands over hooks. But if you are new to crochet and are looking to learn a new skill, hand crochet is very appealing.
As for me, I enjoy both. With traditional crochet, you can create a wide variety of projects, but they take a lot of time. With hand crochet, you can work up cold weather projects fast.
What is Hand Crochet?
Hand crochet is just what it sounds like. It is crocheting with your hands instead of using a crochet hook. Many people prefer hand crocheting over traditional crochet because they do not have to use hooks. Crochet hooks can be difficult for some people to master.
Types of Hand Crochet Projects
You often see hand crochet used when making winter projects. The technique is great for creating fabric that is thick and warm.
There are several projects you can make using finger crochet. These include:
- …and More
How to Hand Crochet
Hand crocheting is a lot of fun. When working on a finger crochet project, you will often need super chunky or giant yarn. You will also need a large clear surface to work on. I often find it easier to work on a bed or the floor.
Hand Crochet Tutorial:
1. Make a slip knot with your hands. You always want your stitches to be about the width of your hand.
2. Place your hand into the slip knot. Grab hold of the working yarn and pull it through, creating a chain stitch.
3. Continue inserting your hand into each chain you make, creating the next chain. Always use the width of your hand as your guide for making each chain. The number of chains you make will determine the width of your project. On the front of your chain, you will see Vs. On the back, there are Vs with back bumps connecting each chain together.
4. Turn your project with the back bumps facing upward.
5. Chain one, keeping your hand in the chain.
6. Now we will create a slip stitch. To do this, place your fingers into the first back bump. Grab the working yarn and pull it through, creating 2 loops on your hand. Pull the new loop through the original loop on your hand.
7. Continue making slip stitches all the way down the chain, working into each back loop. Do not forget the last back loop. It can be hard to see.
8. Chain 1 and turn your work.
9. Keep your hand in the stitch and place your fingers through the first stitch, under the V. Pull the working yarn through creating two loops on your hand. Pull the new loop through the original loop on your hand.
10. Continue creating stitches all the way across, working into every stitch.
11. Repeat steps 8-10 until you have the desired length.
10 Hand Crochet Patterns
Hand crocheting is a lot of fun. And since you use bulky yarn, the projects work up quickly. Below, are 10 fun fingercrochet patterns you will love working on.
1. Extreme Hand Crochet Throw Blanket Pattern by flexandtwine
You can make this fabulous throw blanket using finger crochet. The blanket is super thick and extremely warm. The completed blanket will measure approximately 36 inches (91.44 cm) x 42 inches (106.88 cm). It is an easy pattern that works up quickly using super bulky yarn. Included with the pattern download is a video tutorial on hand crocheting.
2. Cool Hand Pocket Scarf Tutorial by Moogly
Make this thick, luxurious scarf using nothing but your hands and yarn. The buttons are optional. The free pattern includes videos for both right-handed and left-handed crocheters. The completed scarf will measure about 67” (170.18 cm) long x 9” wide (22.86 cm). You will need 4 balls of Red Heart Irresistible jumbo yarn.
3. Ohhio Dog Bed Hand Crochet Tutorial by OhhhioPattern
Make your pooch a squishy, soft bed using this pattern. The completed bed will measure close to 24 inches (61 cm) in diameter and 8 inches (20 cm) tall. It would be a great size for a small dog.
This is an intermediate level pattern. Included in the download are step-by-step Illustrated DIY Instructions and a video.
4. Finger Crochet Market Bag Pattern by SimplyMaggieKnits
Work up this bag for your next trip to the farmer’s market or the grocery store. The bag is roomy and airy. Do not worry about getting it dirty, it can be hand washed and laid flat to dry.
This pattern includes a list of materials and row-by-row instructions. There is also a link to a video on the artist’s blog.
Also see: Crochet Market Bag Patterns
5. Chunky Hand Crochet Round Pillow Pattern by Flexandtwine
Add a lot of texture and visual interest to a couch, chair, or bed with this round pillow. The pillow will definitely be a statement piece.
You will be able to make this hand crochet throw pillow in no time. The download includes the pattern, a how to hand crochet PDF, and a how to Hand crochet in the Round PDF.
6. Big Yarn Hand Crochet Blanket Pattern by Mama In a Stitch
This finger crochet project is completely beginner-friendly. You do not need to have any crochet experience. And you can complete the project in as little as 2 hours.
With this pattern, you can use just your hands or a US 70 (35 mm) crochet hook and 1 skein of Lion brand Yooge Yarn. The finished lapghan will measure approximately 26 inches (66.04 cm) x 41 inches (104.14 cm).
7. Hand Crocheting Multicoloured Pet Bed Pattern by OhhhioPatterns
How cute is this multi-coloured cat bed. Your cat will love napping in this soft basket-shaped bed. This is an intermediate level crochet pattern. The completed cat bed will measure about 18 inches (46 cm) in diameter by 8 inches (20 cm) tall. Included in the download are the pattern and a video tutorial.
Check out more snuggly crochet cat bed patterns here.
8. Easy Finger Crochet Blanket Pattern by SelinaVeronique
This is a beautiful blanket that is super easy to make, just using only your hands and fingers. It is a beginner-friendly pattern that can be completed in as little as 2 hours.
Included with the pattern is a video tutorial to make the project even easier to complete. The blanket is hand crocheted using 4 skeins of Lion Brand Chunky Knit Yarn or any jumbo/size 7.
9. The Heart Pattern by OhhhioPatterns
Make several of these hearts to decorate your bed or to give away as gifts. The heart is cute and can be made in a rainbow of fun colours.
The heart pattern is intended for intermediate level crocheters. There are illustrated instructions along with a video tutorial. The finished heart will measure 17 inches (43 cm) x 17 inches (43 cm).
10. Beginner’s Hand Crochet Blanket Pattern by SimplyMaggieKnits
This crochet blanket would look perfect in a home decorated in boho chic decor. It is the perfect size for throwing over a chair or cuddling in while reading a book.
The pattern includes a materials list and row-by-row instructions. There are also tips for creating the perfect stitches. The completed blanket will measure approximately 59 inches (149.86 cm) long x 37 inches (93.98 cm) wide.
Are you ready to have fun while being creative? Try your hand at one of these hand crochet projects.
If you already know how to hand crochet, you know just how fun and rewarding it is. Share with us your progress on our Facebook Page. We’d love to hear from you.
Here’s more fun crochet tutorials you can try:
- Crochet Jasmine Stitch Tutorial with 10 Patterns To Try
- Crochet Curls Tutorial + 10 Patterns To Try
- Iris Crochet Stitch Tutorial with 10 Patterns To Try
If you are new to the art form, I hope my how to hand crochet tutorial has given you the confidence to start your first hand crochet project.