Crochet Rope Basket Spectacular Rainbow Pattern
Crochet Rope Basket Spectacular Rainbow Pattern WOW. We absolutely adore this bag. We keep our yarn in it at home and it just really livens up the room. You all really liked the mini corded crochet baskets we featured a few weeks back, and we’ve had some messages asking if there was a pattern or tutorial to use this same technique to create much bigger baskets, maybe with handles.
We are happy to oblige with the Ropey Rainbow basket. It uses the same idea of using a cord (in this case a rope) as a base and then crocheting over it to create the round basket. The rope makes it sturdy, strong and yet still flexible.
The basket is worked in the round with 2 strands of yarn held and worked together as one.
- A reasonably tight tension is needed to keep the basket from becoming too floppy.
- Colours are changed one at a time to give the gradual gradient effect. You can keep the colour changes in one section of the basket or you can change them wherever you like.
- The basket is worked mostly in hdc with the final top round in sc.
- Tassels are used to adorn the finished basket and give it a boho touch.
If you don’t need extra storage, then this basket also makes a cute purse or bag to carry to the store. Just adjust the size of the base as needed before you carry on up the sides.
Crochet Rope Basket Materials:
- DK Yarn in an array of colours (approx 1000-1200m).
- Rope – approx 21 metres of 9mm nylon rope to make a basket approximately 35cm in diameter x 30cm high.
- 5mm / H Hook.
- Stitch markers